Friday, April 25, 2008

National Day of Silence

Today is The National Day of Silence. In its 12th year now, this day is meant to bring attention to the name-calling, bullying, and harassment of LGBT(etc) high school students. This year's day is in honor of the memory of Lawrence King, the CA 15-year-old killed by a classmate who found out Lawrence had a crush on him.

Next up in my library pile are two books about gay characters, both by Alex Sanchez. What books with LGBT characters do you like? Are there any that you feel are overlooked? Since I mostly stick to realistic stuff, what about in fantasy--are there LGBT characters there? Any good blogs you read on LGBT books/issues? For blogs, I like I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the hell do I read? I also like Worth the Trip. Books I love include anything by David Levithan, Julie Anne Peters, and Ellen Wittlinger. There are so many great books out now with LGBT characters, which I think is fantastic and so important. Your turn now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few of my faves are:

Dance On My Grave, Aidan Chambers
Postcards from No Man's Land, Aidan Chambers
My Heartbeat, Garret Freymann-Weyr
Down the the Bone, Mayra Lazara Dole
Luna, Julie Anne Peters
Far from Xanadu, Julie Anne Peters

There is woefully little overt queerness in YA fantasy.

Rebecca